Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Our narrow perspectives...

It's so difficult to walk in another person's shoes. You can't realize what somebody is thinking, feeling, or experiencing until you are there yourself. It is sad to realize that, though I have known we live in a very unfriendly country, understanding and experiencing this are two different things.

Of course, the disclaimer here is that it's a generalization, and there are plenty of kind people...

But when you're looking for some help, you suddenly realize all the opportunities you had to help other people out that you have passed on. Needing help is one thing, you have to rely on the kindness of somebody else, but in needing the help, I now see how I haven't really gone out of my way much to help other people around me.

Where does this come from? We're taught to be scared. Watch out for the sex offender in your neighborhood, or the murderer who lives in your state. Thieves and terrorists are everywhere. Everyone is out to take your stuff. Nobody is taught how to defend themselves in the case of an emergency, and in many cases it is difficult to do so (you have to get a permit to carry a weapon, and many other weapons (such as knives) are illegal). So we are a society of helpless, frightened people running around.

Remember, I am speaking in general terms here..

But it makes me sad to be waiting for some help, and to realize that there were many people that I could have helped myself, but didn't. Going to have to work on that. I'm not going to be frightened by people anymore..

No comments:

Post a Comment